Being Cheap vs. Being Frugal

Friday, November 5, 2010

   So since our move I have met so many people who with in the first 5 minutes of conversation use the phrase "I'm so cheap!".... and it seems to keep happening. I really don't want to offend anyone by this post but I am wondering if there is anyone out there who feels the same way I do. Is it really good to be cheap? Is it really good to tell someone that you have just met that you "are cheap"? Or is that a way of testing whether they would make a good friend to you or not.

My thoughts are that I DETEST the word cheap when it is used in that circumstance. That says to me that I will be putting more into any relationship that may form than you would and that I will get the short end of the stick when it comes down to it. I feel that the word frugal would be a much better word to use. But again.... do the words "cheap" and "frugal" mean the same thing, or are they different?

If you are wondering would I ever drop either word in the first 5 minutes of meeting someone.... NO. I wouldn't even bring it up, because it sets a standard from the get go and a preconceived notion of what type of person I may be. I also wouldn't ever bring it up because I don't consider myself "cheap". Frugal yes. Cheap no.

Just some thoughts I had this week.....

3 comments:

Natalie said...

In my opinion, cheap and frugal mean different things. But I think many people get them confused and it's not their fault...just a lack of knowledge. To me "cheap" means that you willingly withhold something from someone else. It's a word that I detest too. Its a selfish word...but again that is just what I think. Who wants to be "cheapened" by thinking you are entitled to more than other people? Like leaving a low (or no) tip for a waiter because you feel they aren't entitled to a full tip because serving you is part of their job. Or buying a gift for someone that you know they wouldn't appreciate, but you get it anyway because you don't want to wisely spend the time or money to think about what they would really want. It's putting your needs before others.

Frugal is a much better word. It means you make more thoughtful choices about things you buy. You spend time searching for what you need to get and don't give up until you think you found the best price for it. Once done, you spend the time making it better. Polishing it, mending it, and making it sparkle because you want it to last and you want it treasured. Also, money saved on that item means more money to save on something else for someone else. It means spiltting a meal at a restaurant because you know that if you don't, you may not have enough to leave a proper tip. Its a word surrounded by generosity and service. Its a word that I would love to hear more of! :)

Elder and Sister Hale said...

To me, people aren't cheap, things are. People are frugal if they buy things on sale...cheap.:)

Rachel Dartt said...

Exactly my same thoughts girls!!!! :)