From Gehrig's Point of View

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wow.... My how they grow up so fast! We are just shy of 10 months!!! I am amazed at how fast they grow, develop and become their own person!! I love my son!

This year we set Gehrig's New Years Resolution for him to become a big boy and sleep in his own bed and in his own room. He has taken his naps in there from the start, but has slept with us at night because it's been easier on me. But now it's time for him to grow up... I can't handle the midnight tossing and turnings anymore.... getting kicked and rolled over just isn't going to work.
I was able to ween Gehrig from binkies at 6 months, which was nice, but I didn't plan on doing it. It just happened when he got RSV, he decided he didn't want them anymore. I have occasionally tried to give him a binkie after nursing just to keep him a sleep longer. Sometimes it's worked, most of the times it hasn't. Well... yesterday I was sitting there nursing him and he started to fall asleep, so i slipped a binkie in to see if it would work... Gehrig opened his eyes grabbed the binkie took it out of his mouth and put it in mine. I was sooo incredibly shocked! But I just sat there laughing!

He is also in that exploration mode of life.... he's started walking short distances between furniture and between Levi and I. The other night Levi was playing with him as I was making dinner. It was really cute and I know that they both really enjoy it especially when Gehrig is in a really playful mood. There was one point in the playing that Levi wanted Gehrig to walk to him from the couch. This was not what Gehrig wanted to do, so he simply grunted "uh-uh" and crawled to me in the kitchen, leaving Levi in the living room stumped!

Oh the joys of parenthood. It's great to see them grow up, but sometimes it just makes you sit there and scratch your head and wonder. We are trying not to use the word "no", but to teach him with sounds, hence how he picked up "uh-uh". If we can stop it at a sound then great.... the word "no" when said will have greater  impact and meaning.

We are also working on weening him to his own room and bed. He's been sleeping with us since he was 4 months old. Right now it's nap time. I put him in his crib at about 1:30 or so.... he's just cried. I've gone in there a couple of times, one because he sounded like he was going to puke from crying so hard. But he's got to learn and so do I. He's got his soft blue blanket, his monkey and his moose stuffed animals, and the primary CD playing. It's not on his agenda to take a nap this way, just on mommies. :) Teaching is hard but learning is good.

We'll keep you posted......

Love-
Rach

2 comments:

Elder and Sister Hale said...

Isn't it funny how the first is kinda like the guinea pig. We learn what to do and what NOT to do for when the next child is born:) You are doing the right thing! Don't give up, it might take a few weeks, but the results will leave you and baby so much happier! He's a cutie!

aimers said...

Did you make your own font? This looks just like your handwriting...